Distinguishing between facts and opinions
1. What is a fact? A fact is a piece of information that is proved to be true. 2. What is
an opinion? An opinion is a feeling or belief that is not certain or proved.
Which of the following are Facts and which of them are Opinions?
Facts Facts 1. China has a total land area of over 9.6 million km2. 2. On 15 October 2003, China sent its first astronaut into space.
Opinion 3. I believe our painting is worth quite a lot of money.
Facts 4. Suzhou is over 80 km away from Shanghai. Opinion 5. It seems that people prefer living in urban areas. Opinion 6. I think that you should find a secure job. Facts 7. Mr. Wang came home to find his computer broken.
Listen to a recording. Decide whether each of the speakers is stating a fact or expressing an opinion. Circle the correct words.
Asking for information
Work in pairs. Complete the questions according to the answers.
1. _______ do you usually go to your local When cinema to watch a film? I usually go on Saturday evenings. 2. How often do you go there to watch a film? ________ I go there twice a month.
Why 3. ________ do you think so many people would like RealCine? Lots of people would like RealCine, because they can experience something that they might never experience in real life. What 4. ________ problem(s) do you think RealCine could have? Tickets for this kind of experience might be too expensive.
5. ______ do you think can be done to What solve this problem?
I think better and newer computer technology can be used to reduce the cost of making virtual reality programs.
Listen to the interview and complete the interview form below.
1. Usual time of use _______________ in the afternoon.
2. How often it is used three times a week: Monday, Thursday, ____________________________________ Friday. __________
for school work. 3. Reasons for use ________________
4. Problems found ____________________________________ keyboards, speed, memory, no Internet _________________________ connection. 5. Suggestions for improving the computer room buy new computers and new software. ___________________________________
What are the general rules we should follow when we write a business proposal, a report or a letter to a stranger?
Always be polite. Be very serious. Use formal greetings and endings. Use titles and family names. Use Dear Sir/Madam if you don’t know the person’s name.
Do not be personal. Do not tell jokes or try to be funny. Do not use contractions. Do not use slang.
Writing a proposal for a new computer room
1. Interview your classmates and gather more information about school computer room.
2. Read your notes and then complete the summary of the survey for the school newspaper.