It is connected to electric wires.
a bus with air-conditioners
a bus which has two floors
This is a suburban railway.It is usually under the city.
You must pay to use this car.
minibus with seats for 12 people.
An alternative to expensive taxi and crowded public transport
What can you visit in a pedicab?
Reading And Vocabulary
1.Taxis usually display the price per kilometre on the window.
2.Buses numbered 1 to 100 are limited to travel outside the city.
3.You can get on a minibus if you don’t want to take a taxi or a bus. 4. You have to pay 3 yuan for a one-way ticket while you take an underground. 5. Pedicabs in Beijing are cheap to take.
Means of transport
Working hours 24 hours
Advantages easy to get
Disadvanta ges expensive
Minibuses Underground Pedicabs
always get a seat fast convenient
only 12 passengers terrible in rush hours
the narrow alleys expensive
Getting Around in Beijing
Buses and trolleybuses
Display vt/n 展示，陈列，显露 Department stores display their goods in the windows.百货公司将货物陈列在橱窗内。 The peacock displayed its fine tail feathers. 孔雀开屏。 the exhibits on display 陈列的展览品 to make a display of one’s knowledge 炫耀自己的知识
limit vt. /n. 限制，作为.. 的限制 ，界限， 限度 Try to limit your report to 10 minutes. Our holidays are limited to two weeks a year. 我们每年的假期限制在两周之内。 There is a limit to one’s life, but no limit to serving the people. 人的生命是有限的，但为人民服务是无限 的。 I’m willing to help you within limits.适 当的 I’ll help you without limit.无限度地
receipt /display /explore /route/ destination / permit
1. Remember to ask for a ________ after you pay for what receipt you buy. 2. You break the law if you drive without a driving_________. permit 3. Trolleybuses follow certain ________ every day to pick routes up passengers. 4. In traveling, the place you want to go to is your destination ___________. displayed 5. Local train and bus time tables are ________ on the notice board in the hall.
6. Man has already begun ________ the Mars,hoping to exploring find signs of life there.
Answer the reading comprehension questions according to the text.
1. Taxis are usually red in color, and they display the _____ on the _____. A. price per kilometer, window B. routes, door C. signs, back D. words of warning, front
2. Fares for _____ are cheap, starting at 1 yuan. Airconditioned buses cost more. A. taxis B. underground trains C. minibuses D. buses and trolleybuses
3. _____ run regular services and follow the same routes as ______.
A. Taxis, underground trains
B. Minibuses, large public buses
C. Pedicabs, Buses and trolleybuses
D. Underground trains, pedicabs
4. The underground is open from _____ am to _____ pm. A. 4:00, 12:00 B. 5:00, 11:00 C. 6:00 am to 10:00 D. 7:00 am to 21:00
2 Answer the questions according to
the passage. 1. How easy is it to find a taxi in Beijing ? ________________________________ Raise your hand, and a taxi appears in no time. ____________ 2.What colour are most taxis ? They’re red. ___________________
3.What’s the problem with buses ? ___________________________ They’re often very crowded.
4.Which is the best bus for tourist ?
_____________________ The 103 bus.
5.How many people can get in a minibus ? _____________ 12 people. 6.What are the advantage of the underground ? __________________________ It’s fast and convenient. 7.When does it close at night ? It closes at 11:00 pm. ________________________ 8.When can you visit in a pedicab ? ______________________________ The narrow alleys of old Beijing.
Try to find some information about the traffic
jam on Internet.Then show
it to the classmates tomorrow.