---The second period: grammar
the feeling of extreme dislike
four-stringed musical instrument
played with a bow
(of clock) to show the time by making a ringing noise quietly; not excitedly
in fact, as a matter of fact
power strength behind or contained in sth. aim excellently
to point (sth.) (towards) very well
1. catch sight of: to see sth./sb.
eg: He caught sight of her dancing alone by accident.
2. die away：to become gradually weaker or fainter and finally disappear eg: The sound of their laughter died away.
3. give oneself up: to offer yourself/sb. to be captured eg: After a week on the run he gave himself up to the police.
4. come up towards: to move towards sb.
eg: He came up towards me to say hello.
5. give way to sb./on sth.: to stop resisting sb./sth.; to agree to do sth you do not want to do eg: He refused to give way on any of the points. 6. have a talk with: to speak with sb. (formal)
eg: My mother had a talk with me about my study.
gave himself up 1). The man who killed his boss yesterday. 2). I looked out of the window and Jane caught sight of passing quickly.
3). Tony felt more confident after he teacher. had a talk with
4). After reading the letter, his doubts belief. gave way to
5). When it was getting dark, the wind and died away it begin to rain.
6). When the stranger with a pair of dark sunglasses her, she felt very fearful. came up towards
John was sweating, so we can see sweat on his forehead and face.
If you take a look at her, you will know she is ill, for she looks pale. If he is a welcome visitor, we will welcome him warmly.
Full conversion Partial conversion
Conversion is a main type of wordformation assigning the base to a different word class with no change of form.
? A cheat is a a person who cheats. ? I can know him at once by his walk (manner of walking).
? A nurse is a person who nurses people back to health.
? Many families still live in want nowadays.
? Don’t hurt others’ feelings because we can also be hurt by others someday.
? His accent is Oxbridge.
2). pause 3). Wondered 4). aim 5). beating
1. A: Who is that handsome boy? B: Which one? A: The one in blue.
B: You mean the one who/that is wearing a blue jacket? A: Yes. B: Oh, he is the student whose mother is a very famous singer.
2. A: Can I help you? B: Yes, I want to buy a ruler. A: We have plastic and stainless steel rulers.
Which one do you prefer? B: I prefer plastic ones. A: Yes, the rulers which/that are made of plastic are usually colorful. Here you are. B: Thank you!
1. Einstein is the person who developed the theory of relativity. 2. The subjects which Einstein studies were maths and physics.
3. The scientists who worked with Einstein admired him greatly. 4. The award which Einstein received was the Noble Prize.
5. The question which Einstein worked out was E=mc? .
Describe these pictures with relative clauses