1. You _____ return the book now. You can keep it till next week if you like. A. can’t B. mustn’t C. needn’t D. may not 2. Where is my pen? I _____ it. A. might lose B. would h
ave lost C. should have lost D. must have lost 3. I wish I _____ you yesterday. A. seen B. did see C. had see D. were to see 4. I didn’t hear the phone. I _____ asleep. A. must be B. must have been C. should be D. should have been 5. If my lawyer _____ here last Saturday, he _____ me from going. A. had been; would have prevented C. were; would prevent B. had been; would prevent D. were; would have prevented
6. He _____ you more help, even though he was very busy. A. might have given B. might have C. may have given D. may give 7. If it _____ for the snow, we _____ the mountain yesterday. A. were not; could have climbed C. had not been; could have climbed A. is A. can’t A. must B. will be B. were not; could climb D. had not been; could climb D. would be D. might not D. would
8. Without electricity human life _____ quite difficult today. C. would have been C. may not C. need 9. A computer _____ think for itself, it must be told what to do. B. couldn’t B. should 10. Jenny _____ have kept her word. I wonder why she changed her mind. 11. We _____ last night, but we went to the concert instead. A. must have studied B. might study C. should have studied D. would study 12. — Could I borrow your dictionary? A. might A. have told B. will B. tell — Yes, of course you _____. D. should D. having told C. can C. be telling
13. Tom ought not to _____ me your secret, but he meant no harm. 14. If he __, he __ that food.—Luckily he was sent to the hospital immediately. A. was warned; would not take B. had been warned; would not have taken C. would be warned; had not taken D. would have been warned; had not taken 15. Peter _____ come with us tonight, but he isn’t very sure yet. A. must B. may C. can D. will 16. I told Sally how to get here, but perhaps I _____ for her. A. had to write it out C. should have written it out brother. A. has come A. needn’t A. breaks B. did come B. must have written it out D. ought to write it out C. came C. mustn’t C. were broken D. had come D. shouldn’t D. had been broken
17. I didn’t see your sister at the meeting. If she _____, she would have met my 18. — Shall I tell John about it? B. wouldn’t B. has broken — No, you _____. I’ve told him already.
19. When a pencil is partly in a glass of water, it looks as if it _____.
20. It’s nearly seven o’clock. Jack _____ be here at any moment. A. must well. B. need C. should D. can 21.--There were already five people in the car but they managed to take me as — It _____ a comfortable journey. A. can’t be B. shouldn’t be C. mustn’t have been D. couldn’t have been 22. Johnny, you _____ play with the knife, you _____ hurt yourself. A. won’t; can’t B. mustn’t; may C. shouldn’t; must A. had to B. would C. could D. can’t; shouldn’t D. was able to 23. The fire spread through the hotel very quickly but everyone _____ get out. 24. — When can I come for the photos? I need them tomorrow afternoon. — They _____ be ready by 12:00. A. can B. should C. might D. need 25. — I stayed at a hotel while in New York. — Oh, did you? You _____ with Barbara. A. could have stayed B. could stay C. would stay D. must have stayed 26. — Will you stay for lunch?— Sorry, ___. My brother is coming to see me. A. I mustn’t B. I can’t C. I needn’t D. I won’t 27. — Are you coming to Jeff ’s party? — I’m not sure. I _____ go to the concert instead. A. must A. I must A. mustn’t leave C. couldn’t have left 30. — Is John coming by train? — He should, but he _____ not. He likes driving his car. A. must 情态动词 1-5 CDCBA 6-10 ACDAB 11-15 CCABB 26-30 BDCBD 16-20 CDACC 21-25 DBDBA B. can C. need D. may B. would B. I should C. should — _____. C. I will D. I can D. might 28. — Write to me when you get home.
29. I was really anxious about you, you _____ home without a word. B. shouldn’t have left D. needn’t leave