城 市 垃 圾
美国密歇根州铜矿及工厂产生的 尾料将湖水染红 国内的水体污
(1) What can you see in the pictures? (2) What caused these problems? (3) How to solve these problems?
1. What sides do Mr Lin Shuiqing and Mr Qian Liwei represent? 2. By how many times has the world’s population increased since 1800? 3. According to Mr Qian Liwei, what should be done to factories that pollute
1. What side does Mr Lin Shuiqing and Mr Qian Liwei each represent? Mr Lin represents the environment and Mr Qian represents the economy.
2. By how many times has the world’s population increased since 1800? Six times. 3. According to Mr Qian Liwei, What should be done to factories that pollute the environment? They should have to pay higher taxes.
How well did you understand the debate? Read the debate again and answer the following questions. 1. What society does Lin Shuiqing belong to? Lin Shuiqing belongs to the Green Society.
2. What does Lin Shuiqing talk about to start her speech? She starts her speech by talking about the way vast areas of the world are damaged by chemical waste. 3. What is happening to large numbers of fish? They are being caught by fishing boats before they can lay eggs.
4. What does Lin Shuiqing think we should teach people about? She thinks we should teach people ways of living that do not harm the environment. 5. In Qian Liwei’s opinion, what belief do people often have? People often have the belief that development is bad for the enviroment.
6. Why does Qian Liwei think production should not be reduced? Because jobs will be lost. People are more important than fish and trees. 7. What does Qian Liwei say we need? He says we need better laws to preserve the enviroment and still allow our country to grow.
8. What are many people willing to do according to Qian Liwei? Many people are willing to pay a little higher prices for things that are friendly to the enviroment.
Read the debate and fill in the table.
Lin Shuiqing’s Cut back on production because industry Industry produces waste, pollutes the environment. Attitude Qian Liwei’s A healthy environment and development should be possible at the same time.
Lin Shuiqing’s More people need more Population land to live on and more food to eat. Attitude
Qian Liwei’s People are more important than fish and trees.
Attitude Lin Shuiqing’s Qian Liwei’s Increase the Recyclin amount of g things we recycle Produce more things from recycling materials.
Attitude Lin Shuiqing’s
① recycle rubbish, ① Cut back on ② effective laws, production, ③ control how ② recycle many trees are cut Solution rubbish, down and how ③ teach people many fish are ways of living caught that do not harm ④ higher taxes on the environthe factories ment producing pollution.
Reading strategy: reading a debate
? In a debate, one side gets the chance to
present their points first. The other side follows and presents their views. (Lin Shuiqing and Qian Liwei) ? Speakers in a debate will represent opposite views on the subject being discussed. (the environment versus the economy)
Reading strategy: reading a debate
While reading or listening to a debate, remember that each speaker’s speech is meant to convince you. (which to choose)
Discuss these questions with a partner. Use the following conversation as an example.
My dad says he doesn’t I don’t think it has to be a Yea, do. If companies are But do you reallyI mind a little careful, bit choice. of they can provide jobs We should be able to think that is possible? pollution, asand long as it reduce theirenvironment pollution. have a clean means people have jobs. Don’t you think that the and lots of jobs atis the same Personally, Ibest agree. What way to solve this problem? time. do you think?
? In your daily life, where have you seen pollution? How did it make you feel? ? Who should be responsible for this? ? What do you think is the biggest danger to our environment today? ? What can you do to help clean up the environment?
1. Read the text. 2. Preview the language points in the debate.