Write down the phrases. 1. 打扫 ________ clean up 2. 分发 ________ give out 3. 曾经 _______ used to 4. （使）变得更高兴 cheer ________ up 5. 义务做某事 _________________ volunteer to do sth. 6. 大打扫日 _________
_____ Clean-Up Day 7. 想出主意（办法）____________ come up with
Hi, Tom. I’m making some plans to work in an old people’s home this summer.
Really? I did that last summer!
several pron. adj. 几个；数个
satisfaction n. 满足；满意
satisfy v. + action satisfaction e.g. Looking at a beautiful painting always gives one satisfaction. 观看一幅美丽的图画总会使人心满 意足。
joy n. 高兴；愉快 e.g. It’s difficult to describe my joy in words. 难以用语言来描述我的快乐。
own (v. 拥有 ) + er owner
e.g. They decided to give the cat back to the owner. 他们决定将猫归还它的主人。
journey n. 旅行；旅程
e.g. A thousand-li journey begins with the first step. 千里之行始于足下。
Watch a video and answer the questions.
1. Where did they volunteer to work? They volunteered to work at the old people’s home. 2. What did they do there? They made dumplings for the old people. They cleaned up their rooms. They talked with the old people. They sang and danced for the old people. 3. What do you usually do on your free time? Would you like to volunteer to do anything for
3a Read the article and answer the
questions. 1. What does Mario love? He loves animals. 2. What does Mary love? She loves reading books. 3. What do Mario and Mary volunteer to do? Mario volunteers at an animal hospital and Mary helps kids learn to read.
3b Read the article again and answer
the questions. 1. Why does Mario volunteer to help 2. Why does Mary volunteer to help others? others? 3. What does Mario say about volunteering? 4. What does Mary say about volunteering?
1. Why does Mario volunteer to help Because he believes it can help him to others? get his future dream job. 2. Why does Mary volunteer to help others? Because she can do what she loves to do and help others.
3. What does Mario say about volunteering? He gets such a strong feeling of satisfaction when he sees the animals get better and the look of joy on their owners’ faces. 4. What does Mary say about volunteering? Volunteering is a dream come true for her.
Use infinitives to complete the 3c sentences below. 1. Mario would like _____ to be an animal
2. Mario works for an animal hospital
because he wants ________ to know about
how _______ to care for animals.
3. Mary decided ________ to try out for a job at an
after-school reading program last year.
She still works there now _______ kids
learn to read. to help 4. Mary has a dream job because she can do what she loves ____________. to help others
1. Mario Green and Mary Brown from Riverside High School give up several hours each week to help others. from River High School 为介词短语 作后置修饰语，翻译时应提前。 to help others 作目的状语。是“每 周拿出几个小时”的目的。
2. Mario believes it can help him to get his future dream job. 马里奥相信这会 帮助他获得他的梦想职业。 help sb. (to) do sth. 帮助某人做某事； help后的不定式符号to，可以省略。 e.g. Mike called on his sister to help him look for his lost keys. 迈克叫上他妹妹帮助他找钥匙。
3. …but I want to learn more about how to care for animals. 但是我想学习更 多关于如何照顾动物的事。 want to do sth. 想要做某事。to不定式 做want的宾语。 e.g. Grandpa wanted to lend us some money to buy a new car. 爷爷想借给我们钱去买一辆新车。
how to care for animals 是复合不定式结 构，作介词about宾语。相当于：特殊 疑问词+ to不定式，构成复合不定式结 构。(how he could care for animals). e.g. They don’t know where to build the new house. =They don’t know where they can build the new house. 他们不知道在哪里可以建新房。
4. Last year, she decided to try out for a volunteer after-school reading program. 她决定去参加一个志愿者课外阅读选拔 活动。 decide to do sth. 决定去做某事；to 不定式做宾语。 e.g. He decided to get married. 他决定结婚。
5. She still works there once a week to
help kids learn to read.
孩子们阅读。 to help kids learn to read
learn to read是help的宾语。
I. Fill in the blanks using the words in the box. several, feeling, owner, journey, satisfaction 1. I only want to sleep for _______ several minutes. 2. The _______ journey from London to Oxford takes about an hour and a half.
3. The next morning, the owner _____ of the
house prepared the breakfast for us.
4. He looked at his work with a smile of
__________. satisfaction 5. She enjoys the _______ feeling of freedom.
II. Complete the sentences. 1. My brother wants _____ to be (be) a pilot.
2. You’ll never learn ______ to ride (ride) a
bike if you don’t practice. 3. Mike taught his grandpa how _____ to use (use) the computer.
Make sentences with these words.
help (to) do, want to do,
learn to do, decide to do,
how to do,
volunteer to do