Look at the names of the minority groups below. What do you know about their cultures? What are they famous for? Discuss the two questions with your partner.
Listen to the conversation, and fill in the table.
Naxi food dances
Listen to the tape again and answer these questions. 1. Why did Ricky and Lucy come to China? Ricky and Lucy came to China as tourists. 2. What is the purpose of the Folk Culture Village? The purpose is to show the homes, temples and dress of China’s Minority groups.
3. What two things is Ricky interested in doing? Ricky is interested in eating and in seeing the homes of the Bai people. 4. What is Lucy most interested in doing? Lucy is most interested in shopping.
5. What things does the guide think are the most important to see? The guide thinks it is most important to see the Uygur cultural dances and the Dai singing (and possibly the different style of houses).
Task 1: What are three times and three places you can visit at Futuroscope?
Time Present Future Place
Under sea Space
Task 2: Main topic of each paragraph. Para 1. What I did at Futuroscope. Para 2. A general description of the park. Para 3. General information about how to visit the park.
Tick the writer’s experiences at Futuroscope (Para1).
( ) A. taking a journey deep into space, to the end of the solar system, and being pulled into a Black Hole. ( ) B. taking a trip to Brazil and experiencing surviving an airplane crash in the jungle.
( ) C. going with divers to the bottom of the ocean and seeing mysterious, blind creatures that have never seen the sunlight. ( ) D. car racing and skiing down some of the most difficult mountains in the world. ( ) E. meeting face to face with a dinosaur. ( ) F. living on the other planets.
A general description of the park (Para2) Q1. What is Futuroscope?
A. a theme park that uses the most advanced technology to take people out of the earth and the present time. B. a science and technology-based theme park that provides people with extraordinary experience without leaving the earth and the present time. C. a theme park that provides only fun and excitement.
Q2: What is the major reason that has made Futuroscope such a success? A. admission free B. enough money C. beautiful sceneries D. advanced technology
General information about how to visit the Futuroscope (Para 3).
( T ) 1. People could also get tickets on line. ( F ) 2. Futuroscope is a theme park that provides only fun and excitement for people.
( T ) 4. Futurescope has a convenient location. ( F ) 5. People could take a shuttle in the Futuroscope. ( F ) 6. People could find very excellent hotels in the Furoscope.
Fill in the blanks according to the text.
Description of Futuroscope ● opened in France in 1987 ● one of the largest space-age _________ parks in the world ● a science and technologybased theme park ● equipped with the most advanced technology such as 3-D cinemas and giant movie screens
What I did at ● paid a visit to the end of the _____________ Futuroscope solar system ● took a trip to Brazil and experienced surviving a(n) airplane crash in the jungle ______________ ● went to the bottom of the ocean to see strange blind _______________that creatures have never seen sunlight car racing and ● joined in some _________ then skied down some of the most difficult mountains in the world dinosaur the ● met with a(n) ________, terrible T-Rex, face to face
What visitors can do there
● go to the bottom of the ocean ● fly through the ________ jungle edges the solar ● visit the ______of system ● do their own scientific ___________experiments ● learn more about space travel __________and the _________and much more undersea world
● can be got at the entrance of the park or online _____. ● group _________ admission rate can be got for classes or other ____________ large groups if they book _____ advance in ● through a(n) _______ shuttle service ● by driving
How to get there
1. Its 3-D cinemas and giant movie screens provide brand new experiences of the earth and beyond. beyond在句中意为“更远处”。beyond 常用作介词，意为“在……之外， 在……那一边（更远处）；超出（能力、 范围等）；超过；到……以后，比…… 晚”等。
【即学即练】根据汉语意思补全下列句子。 1. 有些人倾向于65岁以后继续工作。 Some people will prefer to ___________________________. continue working beyond 65 2. 除了知道他过去为政府工作外，我对他一 无所知。 I know nothing about him __________________ beyond the fact that he used to work for the government.
2. ... makes the world come to life in a completely new way for visitors. come to life [寓词于境] 阅读下列句子，注意come to life的意思和用法。 1) The quiet boy came to life after he went to college. 活跃起来 2) You’re very silent with Anne and Johnny. But with Alice you really come to life.
3) It was not long before the poor dog came to life. 苏醒过来 4) When the man came to life again, he found himself in the hospital.
[注意] come to life中的life不用复数形式。
[拓展] come to an end结束。 如： The curtain dropped. The first act had come to an end. come to hand收到、得到。如： Father’s letter was mailed from Florida last week and came to hand today.
When it comes to travelling in space, I am very excited.
[即学即练] 当孩子们听说他们的老师苏醒过来时，整 个班级立刻活跃起来。 When the children heard that their teacher came back to life, the whole class came to life at once.
3. If driving, Futuroscope is within easy reach of the freeway. [考点] within reach of sb. 或within one’s reach意为“在某人能够着的范围之内”。 其反义短语为：out of reach of sb.或out of one’s reach, 意为“在某人够不着的范 围之内”。
Go over the words and expressions in this unit.